Declan McCole in the lab with two graduate students
January 4, 2023

McCole Records Awards Hat Trick

Biomedical scientist receives pair of service awards, research achievement award

Author: Ross French
January 4, 2023

Declan McCole
Declan McCole, PhD

Declan McCole, PhD, of the Division of Biomedical Sciences pulled off a remarkable accomplishment as he was named recipient of three separate awards in recognition of his variety of work at the UC Riverside School of Medicine.

McCole was named recipient of the 2022 Research Achievement Award in Biomedical or Basic Science Research, the Distinguished School of Medicine Service Award, and the Distinguished UC Systemwide Service Award.

"I cannot imagine anyone surpassing the impressive hat trick of receiving the SOM Research Achievement Award, the Distinguished School of Medicine Service Award, and the Distinguished SOM UC Systemwide Service Award in the same year," said Monica Carson, PhD, the chair of the Division of Biomedical Sciences. "While amazing, it is not surprising that Dr. McCole is the one to receive this well-deserved triple recognition of his multi-dimensional and high impact contributions to our community."

"I am greatly honored to receive these three distinguished awards from my colleagues in recognition of my accomplishments in research, and service on behalf of UCR School of Medicine," McCole said. "I want to express my thanks to those who nominated me for these awards, and to my colleagues on the various committees who selected me. Obviously, the research achievements that have been recognized are due to the dedication and hard work of my lab members. They are a wonderful group, and together we will continue to strive to make advances in our research program."

The Research Achievement Award in Biomedical or ​Basic Science Research recognizes faculty at the School of Medicine for research achievements demonstrated by research published during the fiscal year. McCole's research centered on the role of the inflammatory disease risk gene, PTPN2, in regulating intestinal barrier properties.

"Collectively, these publications represent significant advances to our understanding of how disease susceptibility mutations increase risk of developing chronic inflammatory conditions such as IBD, and how they can be therapeutically targeted by a personalized medicine approach," the awards committee said.

McCole also received service awards from the school and the UC system in recognition of his participation on a variety of campus and system-wide committees.

Media Contacts